Sunday, February 26, 2006

Life is GREAT!, so live it.

Isn't it sad how many people have quit Honors English? I can't believe how small we have gotten. I think that there were about 35 people in our class to begin with and now there are only 19! Almost half of the people who were signed up to do it dropped out! That really is just sad. Sixteen people quitting because they are actually expected to do something. What made them quit? I know that the students whose parents forced them to take the class, were not going to stay in. Then there were the people whose friends made them take the class with them, they were bound to drop out. I asked Brooklyn why she dropped the class and she said, "I hated those one things." "What things?" "The blobs." It didn't exactly help that Mr. Thompson assigned "The Yearling" second term. He actually did this to get the people who weren't serious out. (Thanks Mr. T.) I think that it is highly amusing! Still it just goes to show that most people are too lazy to do something worth while. They wanted Honors English to be easy not requiring a lot of work, or time.

I was once talking to my dad about not having enough time to do all the things I wanted to do. I was having a hard time deciding whether I wanted to be in our school musical or run with the Davis indoor track team. I asked my dad, "Why do both things take so much time?" he said, " anything worth while, takes time,and a lot of it." This is so true! If I was taking no Honors classes I would probably on average have homework 2 nights a week. I have at least 1 hour of math homework a night. She gives us no time to work on it in class, because all of the class time is spent learning. I bet most of my friends on average, do an hour of homework a night. I swear they hardly ever bring their backpacks home. It is totally not fair. Actually it is fair, because I work harder than them and have learned to study and do my homework throroughly I get better grades than them. Even though they do their homework I always get better grades than they do on the assignments. This is probably because I have better homework skills than they do because I have so much more homework than them.

Anyway back to Honors English, it does take quite a bit of time. I think I am most likely slower than others especally when I am dead tired, like I am now! I spent so long reading Anthem and doing the study guide last Saturday! I don't even know how long it took me but it was a long time. After I finally finished it I felt accomplished and like I had actually done something with my time. I was glad that I had done it then, so I wouldn't have to do it the night before it was due. I know people who really don't do anything. Do you want to know what they do? They sit at home and watch T.V. Wouldn't that be the life? NOT! It is not worth while to watch T.V.! What do you gain by donig it? How is watching it going to help you later on in life? If you are one of those people who don't do anything but watch t.v. and are not involved in anything, sign up for a club, make your own club, start working out, just do something! Life is GREAT!, so live it. Learn to love life and make of it what you can. Don't go through life telling yourself, "that is too hard." or " I would never be able to do that." Try new things, make new friends, join Honors English! Finish the stuff you are doing. Don't give up! LIVE LIFE!

8 comments:

MRT said...

The thing many people don't realize is that Honors English as we do it now is ten-thousand times easier than it would be if it were a traditional class during the school day. For one thing, in a traditional class there would be homework of some kind every night, not once a week. We'd also be reading things a lot older and more complicated than The Yearling...and you'd still be reading it mostly on your own time. The thing I like about the way this honors class runs is that students have the choice to do it or not. Those who stick it out to the end of the year are those who are most genuinely engaged in their own education, and therefore the ones who most deserve honors credit. Also, this isn't competitive, which turns a lot of people off. Many traditional honors classes are made up of a bunch of very smart people who just want to show off in front of a group. In order to show off in this class, you have to write well enough that other people want to read what you have to say. So maybe I should tell you to quit showin' off because your blog is one of the most popular! Keep thinking deep thoughts!

Jon said...

Hey Lizzie

Nice blog entry...I'm not too sure how big of a fan I am of the "weeding" process that some teachers/administrators like so much, but it's neat that you're able to stick it out and do something that makes you a better student. Props for making a good decision and sticking with it.

Laurissa said...

Good insights Lizzy. It's true that anything worthwhile takes a lot of work. You find that the things you work the most for you like the best and appreciate the most. If you're not afraid to work hard you can do anything you dream!

Katherine and Rick said...

Hi Elizabeth, You're awesome in my eyes. keep working doing your best and relax a little too--mother

Anonymous said...

Life is wonderful! I have to say, I am one of those people who has a hard time getting things done and not complaining, as a lot of people noticed... Anyway, I agree with everything you said. I think that sometimes we need to adapt to the situations we are set in. I have several things I have had to make difficult choices based on how much time was available to me and I couldn't find a setting that was completely fair. Your blogs are very optimistic. Well done, friend.

Becca said...

I read the yearling...took the test...failed the test...dropped out. I wish I could have stayed but I believe in being honest about what I have done rather than lie just to get the honors tagged on.

Kanien said...

Hey Lizzy~ What I live my life through the TV? Do I have to give it up?

Gregory said...

Backpacking takes a ton of work. That is why it is the funnest thing in the world. Yeah!