Sunday, October 16, 2005

Leaving the kids behind

I come from a family of eight children. My parents have always been very busy. I am the 7th child so I did not experience all of the chaos, since now there are only 2 of us at home. When I think about things that have happened to my family I am amazed that all of us are still alive.

My brother Spencer (the 6th child) is the most famous for getting lost or being left behind. When he was about 3 years old (I wasn't born yet) my whole my family went to Park City for the day, entertaining a girl from France. They were in a mall getting something to eat. Spencer and Jon were playing with the escalator. Suddenly Jon yelled "Dad! Spencer pushed that button and made the escalator stop working." "Well, the people who work at the mall will have to take care of it, right now we have to go" replied my dad. On the drive home everyone was sleeping in our enormous 8-seater Mormon van, so my parents didn't notice that one child was missing. Once they arrived home my Mom noticed that Spencer had not come into the house. "Has anyone seen Spencer?" she asked. "He's most likely still in the car" Said my dad. Spencer however was not in the car. As a matter of fact they could not find him anywhere. "Call the police see if they found him. I know he be alright, they're good people up there, but I can't believe we've left him!" said my mom. My mom called Park City Police and luckily (very luckily) they had my big brother. The first thing the police wanted to know was what my brother’s name was. "All your little boy will tell us it that he is a big boy" Said the policeman. "That is the only thing we can get out of him, I'm a big boy, I'm a big boy," His name is Spencer my relieved and flustered mom said. "I'll be rightup to get him." My brother was retrieved safely, although it might have been against his will. He liked it in the police station where they gave him doughnuts and let him watch cartoons.

A month later my brother was left behind and nobody even noticed. They were camping and had driven to a better fishing lake. They went to the lake and fished and then drove back to their campsite to fix dinner. Once they got back to their campsite my sister said, "Dad I left my shoes back at the lake." "Okay, well we better go and get him." He jumped in the van and drove to the lake again. When they got there some other people who were there said to them, "Did you leave a little boy here?" "No we left a pair of shoes, but not a little boy." replied my dad. Then here came Spencer running out of the trees yelling "that was very wude of you to weave my here" The strangers looked at my dad questioningly and said "Are you sure you didn' t leave a little boy here?" My dad looked at them and laughed. Then he took Spencer and the shoes and drove back to the camp site.

I was even left at a my dance studio when I was 4 years old. My brother was supposed to pick me up after my class was done. Unfortunately he decided to go rock climbing instead. I was left there for almost 3 hours. I finally got the courage to ask the dance teacher if I could use her phone. The funny thing is my anut and Uncle lived across the street, I could have gone to their house if I hadn't been terrified of my Uncle at the time. I was so scared of him because everytime I saw him He made me give him a big kiss. I hated this! I would rather suffer sitting alone at my dance class then have to face a big wet one from him.

No comments: