I decided to write about teachers after I read that comment on Mr. T's blog from Dominique Wakefield. In her comment she said:
"All students have to worry about is themselves and their homework and such while teachers have to worry about themselves, their students, their classes, their class plans, their families and anything else that could be going on in their lives. I was thinking the other day about how teacher are always so prepared, every single day. It’s like giving a forty-five minute presentation every single day. One of the most important jobs in this country today is teaching. I don't even want to fathom about where we would be as an educated country without it. Teachers should be paid much more for what they do."
All I can say is that you are one lucky girl if all you have to worry about is yourself and you homework. I don't think I have ever met anyone that doesn't have a million things to worry about. You said that teachers have to worry about their classes and their families; well don't students have to worry about that too. It’s not like we don't worry about our families. When a family member is sick or hurt we worry about them. I worry about millions of things. Practicing the piano, practicing voice, worrying about how I will do in my races, worrying that I will get injured, eating right, and studying for a test, finishing that term project, worrying about my family. The list goes on and on!
I think that some kids have it easier than a lot of adults, but a lot of adults have it easier than kids. I have a friend who has to worry about things like enough food for her and her brothers and sisters. She is always worried about her dad going back to jail, or getting in trouble. Students have to worry about a lot too.
One thing that really bugged me is when she said that teachers are always prepared. I do not agree with that at all! A lot of my teachers are not always prepared. Last year in English we spent more than a month (well, that is what it seemed like) listening to Tom Sawyer on a book on tape. All the teacher would do is make us listen and then give us 5 minutes after every chapter to answer some questions. It was the biggest waste of time. She never had to prepare anything. I had English first period, and all I did was study and do other assignments. My class once started clapping when I actually got there on time. That motivated me to come for awhile.
Most teachers don't give 45 minute presentations. They talk for 15 minutes and give you an assignment. They make you read something and give you an assignment. They make you watch a movie then do an assignment. There is also the kind of teacher who just lectures the whole time while you are supposed to take notes. These are the classes that I dread. They are so boring, and pointless. Do you ever remember all of the stuff they are teaching even after you cram for the test? I know I don't.
The cool thing about school is sometimes you find a really amazing teacher who can excite you about anything. You can't wait until their class to see what crazy thing they will do next. Or maybe a teacher will just make you laugh the whole class. Maybe a teacher who will tell you crazy stories. I love going to a class like that. I hate a teacher who tries to be your friend or tries to be really cool. Talking in slang or saying they love the most popular T.V. show that is on at the time. That is the worst kind of teacher. I wish teachers would just teach in their own way. Not trying to do all of those stupid new better ways of teaching. Teachers are the best if they are just themselves.
Sunday, October 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Very nicely done! This blog covers a lot of ground, and you offer good examples to support your opinions. Good job!
Post a Comment